Thursday, August 30, 2012

$5 Grey Zara Dress 5 Ways

Back when Alex and I lived in Connecticut I purchased this grey Zara Basic piece at Stiles Consignment, now renamed Miso Chic Boutique, in Unionville CT for $5.  Okay... I think it was actually $10, but I had a Groupon so I paid $5! Woot! I know that the dress doesn't look like much on the hanger, but the combinations in transforming this basic piece was endless. Here's 5 different looks that I threw together as some inspiration.  




Fierce Bow Peep
Belt: $2, Women Helping Women, Santa Ana CA
Black and White Polka Dot Scarf: $2. Women Helping Women, Santa Ana, CA
Yellow to Orange Mix Scarf $2: Women Helping Women, Santa Ana, CA
BCBG Shoes: $8 Salvation Army, Fountain Valley, CA

I was really drawn to these scarves for their bold pattern, but together they just scream fun and feminine. The giant bow makes a great alternative statement to a traditional necklace. I snitched my waist with a cute braided belt that I thrifted and paired it with these killer pointy nude BCBG heels. A pair of pointy heels will make any outfit look fierce!

Now that I think of it, I think adding a dark denim jacket would have really added more pop to this look.  Unfortunately, at the moment mine is no where to be found :( Use your imagination, close your eyes and visualize this look with my favorite Guess jacket and Voila! The complete look!


Alice In Wonderland 
Flower Headband: $4 Forever 21, New York, NY
Equipment Lace Button up: $4, GoodWill, Westminster CA

Lace instantly make any outfit girly. Add a white flower head-band and you're ready for afternoon tea.  Traditionally I use this lace button down as a light weight outerwear, but with Fall coming up and temperatures dropping I thought the collar is a great accessory and the lace sleeves adds texture to the outfit.



Preppy Geek Chic  
Equipment Lace Button up: $4, GoodWill, Westminster CA
Argile Sweatshirt: $4, Women Helping Women, Santa Ana, CA
Pearl studs: $5.50 Claires, Boston, MA


I use to think that argile was grand-fatherish, but after living on the East Coast for several year I've grown to appreciate the pattern. I used the same base as the Alice in Wonderland look and added a nice v-neck sweatshirt to contrast the grey. This look is perfect for students on the east coast as it gives individuals the much needed warmth but also instantly make you appear more studious.  Now you're ready to hit the books! 



Simple, but Bold
Betsey Johnson Sunglasses: $19 +$6, Groupon Goods 
Banana Republic Scarf: $4, Miso Chic, Unionville CT  

For those of us who can still enjoy the a warm summer day and refuse to admit that summer is ending, will enjoy this look simple chic look. Thrown on your favorite sunglasses and tie an animal print scarf for that puur-fect edgy look.   



Office Appropriate
White Belt: $.5, Lutheran High Thrift Shop, Orange, CA
Floral Blouse: $8, Fashion Unlimited, Corona, CA
Bruno Magli Shoes: $25, Palos Verdes Resale, Lomita, CA 
Pink Tear Drop Earrings: Gift 

I wear this pairing the most at the office as it's simple and elegant. The flowers on this blouse are muted and soft, and the bright white belt with gold accented buckles ties the whole look together.  This is my go-to outfit when I'm running late or not feeling inspired to try something new.    


Which outfit pairing if you favorite? Do you have suggestions on other ways to wear this grey dress?


Summary of Today's Tips
1. Clothes on a hanger often look terrible, but if you give it a shot you might be surprised at how flattering it makes you look.
2. Get the most mileage out of your wardrobe and go shopping in your closet. All of these pieces were items I've already owned and with Fall quickly approaching you can layer garments to add even more character to your pieces.



3 comments:

  1. Love this! You are working that dress, it looks so versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Irene! Is the dress material cotton? Going to comment in order of outfits:
    #1: I think I've seen your dark denim jacket. That's so neat how you mixed the two scarves! I've never thought of that.
    #2: I'm so interested to see more of the lace button-up.
    #3: I <3 argyle.
    #4: This reminds me of something from back in the day, circa '50s or '60s perhaps. I like. :)
    #5: I think I would like to see a brighter cardigan with the grey, since the grey is already neutral. I'm thinking yellow, maybe cuz yellow and grey are a hot combo. Or pink. Just my two cents. Nice belt!

    Maybe you could also try pairing the dress with a long zip-up vest left unzipped, leather jacket, booties, and maybe even taller boots. You could definitely add something with studs or grommets, which are in season this Fall.

    Great work!!

    ReplyDelete