Sunday, September 9, 2012

Free Museum Admission + Discount Alerts!

I'm a life-long learner and though I've long graduated from school, I feel that there's always room to grow.  I have a huge fascination with jewels and gems, but also wildlife and space. Cultures and language strike an interest and who can forget the importance of food and entertainment?! My interests are diverse and one way I quench my thrust for knowledge is by visiting various exhibits to stimulate my mind.  And to top it off, free admission! Woohoo!          



Discovery Science Museum
The big cube next to the 5 Freeway offers free admission on the first Saturday to all Bank of America Credit Card holders. Check out my yelp review here on all the details. Since this exhibit was an outreach for wild life education, the Santa Ana Zoo provided free zoo admission too! which I used 2 days later :)



Bowers Museum
Free Admission on the first Sunday of every month.  It's a small museum, but the quality of the artifacts presented were outstanding.  For their special exhibit on my visit they featured a small collection of beautiful handcrafted jewelry for the Russians tsars. Ballin! Read my full post here.      




International Food Fair
After my pleasant air conditioned trip the Bowers Museum, I decided to trek up to Orange for their annual International Food Fair at the Orange Circle as it was only a 10 minute drive away.  But upon arrival, I wondered if I should have stayed at the museum instead.  I was dripping with sweat, but thankfully, as a seasoned outdoor visiter I came prepared with a bottle of water, Chinese umbrella, and flat shoes. There were a ton of girls there in heels, and I'm sure their feet were not happy by the end of the day.  I was complimented by several random strangers on my brilliant accessory (my umbrella), and highly recommend it as an alternative to sunglasses and a hat. There's just more coverage and it instantly cooled my entire body while the sun beat down innocent bystanders with it's flames of fury.

Overall, it's a fun atmosphere and the proceeds benefit a wide range of nonprofits and other outreach programs. For details on my food excursion and tips on parking, please check out my yelp review here. 


Santa Ana Zoo
Thanks to my recent visit to the Discover Science Museum, I was able to visit all the furry friends here. Read my review here.

I think this trip also served double duty as it provided an opportunity to wear items that seemed out of place on a day to day basis. My hubby and I purchased matching safari Mickey ears a few years ago at the Animal Kingdom in Orlando, FL and never reused it again. Well Ears, Monday was your lucky day! Not only was I happy to use it, but it definitely helped keep my face and neck cool :) Additionally, this silk and leather lizard print BCBG dress (thrifted btw from Buffalo Exchange in New York- $15 methinks?) hadn't seen daylight in ages. I think it's sad when we grab the same 5 outfits each day, so challenge yourself and share that same love with the garments that you wouldn't necessarily gravitate towards. It's not natural, but you'll be surprised at how diverse your closet really is!


Random Discounts Alert:
Jamba Juice: Buy 1 Get 1 Free (Good for CA, NY, and DC!)
http://www.jambajuice.com/summerbogo

NYX palette: (half off)
I'm no beauty expert, but for those of you who are interested in an affordable starter kit this one is pretty comprehensive. Complete with a good range of eye shadows, blush, bronzer, and lip gloss. The groupon deal is $12 (plus $3 shipping) and the NYX website is offering the same palette with a Buy 1, Get 1 Free promotion ($25 retail). So depending how many you need, this either is a great option.
http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-nyx-haute-jersey-leopard-couture-palette?c=all&p=43
http://www.nyxcosmetics.com/whats-new/promotions/


Summary of Today's Tips
1. There are really great family oriented activities that are not only educational and fun, but affordable! Can't beat free! :)
2. Often times sponsors (ie. Bank of America, Target) will provide a generous grant to museums allowing free admission on a specified day. The beginning of the month seems to be popular in my area, but check your local museum's websites.
3. Shop in your closet. It may take a little bit longer to get ready, but utilizing your full closet will help you appreciate all the garments you own and save $$$.
4. Stay cool in the hot weather! Sunglasses, hats, umbrellas are all simple accessories that not only add flair to your outfit, but work to keep you from overheating!


Yours Truly,


Irene  

3 comments: