Monday, December 3, 2012

Free Gingerbread House Exhibit at DSC

UPDATE: I just started a facebook page. I'd love it if you'd "like" my page :)



It's the most wonderful time of year...With the holidays in full swing I can't help but feel a bit more merry and gleeful, despite the recent down pour.  This past weekend my college girlfriend and I visited the Discovery Science Musuem in Santa Ana as they presented their Science of Gingerbread exhibit complimentary thanks in part to a generous endownment.

Just FYI, if you're a Santa Ana resident admission is FREE on the first Tuesday of each month and it's FREE on the first Saturday of each month to Bank of America credit card holders. Credentialed teachers get in FREE daily. Read here for more information about discount days.

Each year this musuem hosts a gingerbread house decorating contest and I will admit some of these entrees are definitely magazine worthy! Below are a few snapshots of my favorites.




I would LOVE to live in a candy house like this? Pretty much perfect in every way, shape and form. The gazebo is also so elegantly done as well.


Are you kidding me? This entree is a Gingerbread TREEHOUSE. Crazy what people can come up with. Though I think the stair leading up to the house is broken :(

Next to it is a Gingerbread carousel. The pipping looks great and the little animal details are so adorable.


A gingerbread cruise with fondant penguins... This entree definitely took it to the next level! I especially loved the way they decorated their Christmas tree and appreciate the attention to detail on their boat.  This family must have a professional baker in the family!


This library gingerbread house was definitely the most creative in my opinion. I love how they used this exhibit as a plateform to encourage kids to read. Awesome job!

My hubby and I also made our own gingerbread houses as well, but you'll have to wait for the next post to see our creations. :)


What kind of gingerbread house would you make?




Yours Truly,

Irene

2 comments:

  1. Look forward to seeing your gingerbread creation! Going off the animal theme in some of your photos, a gingerbread Noah's Ark would be cute. I'd love any architectural / major monument ones, too - Eiffel Tower, Chrysler building, Golden Gate bridge, Colosseum, Taj Mahal, etc. I think you would like something like 5th ave. with storefronts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Carol: Aren't you creative?! :) and I absolutely love the 5th ave idea! A high end gingerbread village with all the fashion staples. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete