Thursday, March 7, 2013

Thin Mints, Samoas, Tagalongs.. It's Girl Scouts Cookies Season in CA- Scouts Honor!

It's that time of year again! When girls dressed in green (junior scouts) or brown (brownies) sell those oh so scrumptious cookies in the colorful rectangle boxes.  And while Girl Scouts is an international organization, my girlfriend from the UK (who I haven't seen since middle school and enthusiastically purchasing several boxes below) informed me that the "Cookie Craze" is an American phenomenon as the scouts in the UK have traditional bake sales with an emphasis on cupcakes. 
Cupcakes were so 2012... but Girl Scout cookies are forever- Scout Honor! :) And yes, I really was a scout back in elementary school.  Oh the years of crafts and girl power! 


The Girl Scouts have expanded their cookie selection, but the Thin Mints (in the green box) are my all time favorite and you get 32 cookies in a box (the best bang for your buck! whereas some you only get 15 in some of the other flavors (although those are tasty too!). We were even told by the scout mom that the Thin Mints outsold the Oreo this year! (!!!) Craziness!


For my readers who have no idea what this cookie post is about... lets start with the basics. I actually did not recognize a few of the new ones in the plastic packaging and some of the cookies names vary by region but I will do my best to highlight the originals.  For the cookies that have two names the one on the right is what they are called on the West Coast and the left is what I've heard them called in the East Coast. I'm actually not sure what happens in the mid-west. Anyone know?

THE ORIGINALS 
Do-Si-Dos -  Peanut Butter Sandwiches (orange box):An oatmeal cookie is filled with peanut butter.
Samoas - Caramel deLites (purple box): One of the most decadent and sinfully good cookies. This vanilla cookie is bombed with coconut striped and oozed between chocolate and caramel strips. 
Tagalongs - Peanut Butter Patties (red box): A crispy vanilla cookie filled with peanut butter & coated with milk chocolate.
Thin Mints (green box): Thin chocolate-peppermint cookie coated in chocolate. My favorite!
Trefoils (blue box): A shortbread cookie shaped in the girl scout logo. 

INCENTIVES 
The prices per box have increased since I was a scout from $2.50 to $4, but if you really think about it the profits are going towards programs and resources that will help young girls become our future leaders. Not a bad investment if you ask me, and their products are outstanding!  Though I'm 100% doing it for the girls 0:) I love products that support a cause that I believe in and as a former scout, this fundraiser really does help make a difference. 

If you'd like to support a local troupe, do so quickly as the season is coming to a close. Cookie season in California is January 27th - March 10th and a girl scout can usually be found in front of grocery stores. 


What's your all time favorite cookie? 


Yours Truly,

Irene 

No comments:

Post a Comment